Pages

tuesday: back to the beginning

Some time ago I decided that I wanted to revisit my favorite childhood books. That includes Little Women, Alice, the Moomins, Winnie the Pooh, Ronia and others. I wanted to read them again to see how much I’d enjoy them now, how much I’d remember, and if there was something I could still learn from them today. Another rule was to read them in English, of course, as back when I was a kid I read them in my native language, Latvian. As I wanted to buy them in beautiful matching editions, I went on a quest. I scoured the Book Depository, looking up all my favourite childhood books(and a few that I had not yet read) and concluded that I liked the understated Oxford World’s Classics the best. The simplicity of the font and layout and the no-nonsense white spines completely won me over. And, let’s face it, they have the nicest cover illustrations as well. I ended up making quite a list of the Oxford World’s Classics titles I’d like to get(and not only children’s classics, too), but the ones I decided to get first were my childhood bible Little Women and the creepy Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, And What Alice Found There.

No comments:

Post a Comment