Pages

The Manifesto of Futurism

''Let's break out of wisdom, as if out of a horrible shell; and let's fling ourselves, like fruits swollen with pride, into the wind's vast and contorted mouth.''
_
I dug up my old literature book today and discovered an interesting reading - The Founding and the Manifesto of Futurism by Filippo Tommaso Marinetti, published for the first time in Le Figaro, Paris, February 20, 1909.
_
I started reading it and was inevitably fascinated. It seems a little bit incredible that 100 years ago someone was able to write, putting so much dynamic and movement in his words. I've always loved detailed writing with much expression, so this was like a piece of Swedish chocolate for me. I was not overly delighted with the ideas of destroying museums, glorifying War and the contempt for women, of course, but the lure of a new type of a lifestyle and the beauty of speed is sure dream-like in these hard times. Not literally maybe, but meaning to step it up and live a life on a new, faster and shinier level with a hint of desirable danger.
You know what I mean, don't you?
_
''And like young lions we ran after Death, its black hide stained with pale crosses, running across the vast livid sky, alive and throbbing.''

No comments:

Post a Comment